Polishing Metal Models

Models contracted and paid by the airlines to be put on display in travel agencies.

Moderator: larrymak

Polishing Metal Models

Postby CAIR67 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:53 am

I have a Douglas Factory DC-8 aluminum model. I have the decals to refinish it and I want to polish it to a mirror finish. Does anyone have any insight on the best way to do it? Is it better to use a machine or do it by hand. What is the process? This is serious removing scratches polishing I'm talking about, not just grab a rag and a can of aircraft polish.

Thanks,
Dave
CAIR67

Re: Polishing Metal Models

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:53 am

What? No propwash?! :lol:
Deep scratches can only mean one thing: progressive sanding with wet/dry sandpaper.
I sure hope it's not Alclad...you should experiment in some out of the way corner. You do not want to go through the cladding.
Other than that...progressively finer sandpaper until the scratches are gone.
Then switch to a buffing wheel for the entire model.
Is it "Chrome" plated or alloy all the way? Best to find these things out first.
Good luck!
Lettuce know how it goes!
Michael
MichaelB

Re: Polishing Metal Models

Postby stratoliner » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 am

Is this Larry mak who sold the air canada cutaway dc8? im still interested in that 1/24 metal stand if you still have. you never sent me pics of it so i can confirm if it will fit my 1/24 westway 747. also, if you find out how to polish deep scratches in aluminum please let me know. have a dfm dc4 with deep scractches and a hole drilled in. thanks
stratoliner

Return to Travel Agency Models