Seaboard DC-8 Jet Trader

Models contracted and paid by the airlines to be put on display in travel agencies.

Moderator: larrymak

Seaboard DC-8 Jet Trader

Postby BoeingDriver » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm

Here's a really nice model with one butt ugly paint job.

I love the model but keep it hidden up high on top of a display case because it's almost as ugly as UPS' paint scheme not to mention the condition is deteriorated. Many of you would say it's great--keep it as found. Additionally there were probably not that many DC-8F or Seaboard models made.

I'd like to have it redone in early UAL or EAL colors. Who is reworking these things nowadays that would have original or good quality decals? I talked to Gary Field who didn't have any ideas except to contact a Northwest pilot who is having wooden planes made in the Philppines--I want decals not some signpainter's work. I have a DC-7 that is painted and while the work is good it just isn't right in my eye.

There is always the possibility of trading. Larrymak? Anyone?

You have to love the size and heft of this thing no matter what it looks like!

Cheers,

Ladd
BoeingDriver

Re: Seaboard DC-8 Jet Trader

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:03 pm

I love it! I hate to say it...but I'd keep it in the original finish - and even consider restoring it a bit.
If you want a "new" one - I'd recommend you look for a new one in the colors you want. I think there are a number of outlets for these types of planes, including metal ones.
Michael
MichaelB

Postby larrymak » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:26 pm

Ladd, I hate to tell you this but I sold the exact model in mint condition a year ago. I heard that Atlantic models in Miami will make new decals for you, but I have not had any experance with them. I have a TAP 727, SAS Caravele, 707 Lufthansa . All are excellent condition and about 1/50 scale. The 707 came from the auction in PA many years ago. I think you were there. Regards,larry
larrymak

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Atlantic Models makes excellent decals, although they are basic and not up to the better "modeler" decals. They also have UPS models and decals, but are for sale only to UPS !
No hesitation on recommending Atlantic...
MichaelB

Postby BoeingDriver » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Larry--I contacted Atlantic Models. Waiting to hear back. Still toying with the idea of refinishing as I agree that things should be left as found unless they are a complete loss. I would trade this plus whatever to get another factory DC-8 in a classic American livery. Since this is the only 1/50th of this type I've ever had I don't want to let it go. Especially since it has the original stand and swivel! I'll post a pic of another DC-8 in a separate msg. Maybe you can tell me about it.

I remember that LH 707 in PA. It's a beauty. What about that SAS Caravelle? Doubt I have anything worth trading but would be interested. I'm a sucker for BAC One-Elevens and Caravelles. Show us the Caravelle or try that PM button GR says works just fine.

MichaelB--I think I'd be just fine with a set of decals from Atlantic. You may just be the master modeller you claim you are not to be that persnickety! BTW: UPS guards it's trademark like a state secret We cannot even have our own custom business cards made with their logo or planes. Their printer only and I heard they went after a small operator who makes photo cards for all of the other airline pilots out there.
BoeingDriver

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:45 pm

The UPS Police are infamous in the world of modeling. They even went after a company in Poland making decals! ...and more than a couple "guys" received nasty cease and desist letters!
And if you ever wonder why all the decal makers in the world (and they are mostly in the world, not the US) predominantly make decals for airlines NOT based in the US...it's 'cause they'll get sued or have to sign up for a hefty license fee.
...only in America...
MJB
MichaelB

Postby car15 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Hey ladd, do you still have the model? I was going thru my decal box and look what I found.
Attachments
car15

Postby CAIR67 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:01 am

ladd,
I really hope you did not destroy an original Marketing Aids model by repainting it. I love Seaboard Cargo, no matter how "ugly" the company's paint scheme was. I would be proud to display that model in my collection!

Cair
CAIR67

Postby BoeingDriver » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:31 pm

The Seaboard DC-8 remains a Seaboard. The decals were painstakingly retouched and the bare metal polished. It is still not a thing of beauty but at least it doesn't look miserable.

So it is interesting to note there is at least one Seaboard fan out there in the whole world!!!!

Cheers,

Ladd
BoeingDriver

Postby craviola990 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:31 am

I like the fact that she's Seaboard too!

Although I can certainly see why the livery wouldn't be to everyone's taste. For some reason, I like those black noses...like the old Air California (Pre "Air Cal") circa '67 on their Electra's, 737s & DC-9s. I think alot of it is just the nostalgia growing up right near SFO as a kid, and seeing AC Electra's when I was around 6 years old.

My weakness for DC-8s anyway though, has always been strong since I was a boy.

AA 1962 "Lightning Bolts" on the 990 I think, take the cake for livery.

Fred Cox would go nuts over this, if he doesn't have one already. Beautiful piece!

How do you guys install your avatars?! I've tried several times, the photo is so tiny, and still says it's too large.

Best, Christian
craviola990

Next

Return to Travel Agency Models