Display case for the big ones

Models contracted and paid by the airlines to be put on display in travel agencies.

Moderator: larrymak

Re: Display case for the big ones

Postby BoeingDriver » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:52 pm

As for stands for the Topping 727 and 737. I think over the years many have been mixed up. At shows it seems vendors with more than one of each model just put any airplane on any stand. A friend of mine bought a 737 one day at a show. When he complained that the model would be OK if only there were not a crack in the stand, the seller quickly changed stands with another model with a different color stand. It would have been nice if the airline name were imprinted on the stand. I have an American and two United Topping 727/737 models with names.
BoeingDriver

Re: Display case for the big ones

Postby larrymak » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Ladd,
Great seeing your models, you have some special pieces and the display cases are great. The issue regarding the bases are interesting. Topping first starting using that base on their Boeing/Vertol models. Underneath the bottom of the base was cast the Topping logo. When Topping went out of business in 1965, Rolen and Hyatt, who were sales reps at Topping, started their own companies and started to produce models. This particular Boeing stand continued to turn up on models but the Topping logo was ground out of the mold. The molds belong to the defense companies not Topping. A few years ago Northrop Grumman reclaimed some of their molds.
larrymak

Previous

Return to Travel Agency Models