Verkuyl/Mohawk FH-227 Requires Overhaul!

Models contracted and paid by the airlines to be put on display in travel agencies.

Moderator: larrymak

Verkuyl/Mohawk FH-227 Requires Overhaul!

Postby stuffinder » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:53 am

I've been chasing a Mohawk Airlines Travel Agent model for a year or more. The previous owner had shown it to several antique dealers but refused to set a price
I managed to acquire yesterday. It's definitely a Verkuyl 1/50 scale. I had nearly the same airplane 20 years ago in fabulous Ideal Cement Co. green & white livery. This airplane differs in having propellers which is unusual for Verkuyl. Unfortunately one hub has no blades remaining & the other has only one. They're cast chrome plated "pot" metal with easily removed brass screw w/collar allowing props to spin. The OD of the props is 2.5 in. I found plastic Precise replacement props but would like something closer to original if possible. The stand is missing as well, it most likely would have said "Fairchild" on it. Verkuyl's name is not on the airplane, only Fairchild so it was probably ordered by Fairchild and then given or sold to Mohawk. I've looked for years and have talked to quite a few old-time Mohawk collectors and employees and no one remembers seeing a metal FH-227 before, only plastic 1/72 and I've had several of them over the years. It's in great condition w/22 in. WS and gross's out at 3 Kg. WO props or stand! I'll take some pics tomorrow & upload. TIA

Visit my seldom up-dated website for an idea of the types of things I buy/sell/trade/collect. http://www.stuffinder.com

Thanks,
Tom Heitzman
stuffinder

Re: Verkuyl/Mohawk FH-227 Requires Overhaul!

Postby johnbeugels » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Hello Friends,
The story of Raise up and Matthijs Verkuijl was published in a Dutch aircraft magazine long time ago. As not many members of this site can read our Dutch language you have to look at the site : http://aviation.watergeek.eu/matthys_ve ... odels.html. It is in English and very interesting.

John Beugels.
johnbeugels

Postby grwebster » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 am

John, great site but I wonder why the Identification model range he made was not discussed?
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby alumtube » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:56 pm

Just completed a restoration of a Verkuyl F-227 in same ( 1:50 ) scale. Notice resin plug they used to lengthen the forward cabin to make the F-27 become a F-227. In addition the body was stuffed with newspapers from 1959...
Attachments
alumtube

Postby Tone » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:06 pm

When I was little the administration at ALB actually let me into the control tower and I was able to say hello to the pilot of one of these. I will never forget a day in February 1972 when one crashed on Edgewood St right near my house ! ! ! ! N7818M
Tone

Return to Travel Agency Models